Lump in ones hamstring

October 10, 2017

I am writing on behalf of my husband who has had a persistent lump in his hamstring for a number of years. The injury occurred at the end of a long run and left him limping and in a lot of pain. He has since seen a number of physios and not had much luck, and hasn’t been able to run since. He has been working around it, but recently felt like he damaged it again at the gym.

I was wondering if you can point me in the direction of a specialist in longstanding hamstring injuries as he is quite despondent about it and would like to be able to run properly again one day.

Thanks for your help,

October 10, 2017

Hi Cassie

It’s sounds as if your husband has torn his hamstring and the torn end has retracted back up his thigh – that’s the lump you feel.

You can live with this (as long as it’s not massive) but he’ll need to do some rehab to help maximise the strength of the rest of the muscle (as he’s got a chunk missing) and help stabilise the tissue to stop this becoming a recurrent issue.

Getting a simple diagnostic ultrasound scan is the way forward to establish the next step – and then it’s all about right type of rehab.

Look at reputation to see where to do that – or depending what part of the UK you’re in, I can recommend somewhere.

So US scan first then decent rehab second.

The Guru

Guru Responded

Have more questions?

If you're struggling with Quads & Hamstrings issues then we'd love to help. We offer appointments within 24 hours whether face to face at one of our London Physio Clinics, virtually or if you’d prefer we can arrange a home visit.

Request An Appointment

We aim to get back to you within an hour

How should we contact you?